Saturday, February 7, 2009

Come sail with me

to Fraser Island. Two days ago I took a day trip to Fraser Island. I normally like to avoid tour groups but because I could not rent a 4wd, I was left with no option. Luckily the Fraser Island Company tour group does small tours of no more than 16 people in a specially made 4wd vehicle. You have to pay extra for it, but it's so worth not having to spend the day in a group of 50 people. You have several options of 1, 2, and 3 day tours on the island. If your like me and planned your trip poorly so that you didn't have enough time, I'd recommend the 1 day trip. Only rent your personal 4wd if you're in a group and can alternate driving. The roads (i use that term loosely) are merely sand and dirt.

Our guide Hans (yes he was German) was excellent with a great sense of humor. There were only 4 other people about my age on the tour because young backpackers are cheap and don't do these types of things. I especially loved the couple from Hamburg who were hilariously ridiculous. The rest of the people were about 70 going on death. But they were friendly nonetheless. Old, but friendly.

No comments:

Post a Comment