Monday, January 26, 2009

This is what it sounds like


When doves cry.

It's been raining in Sydney for the past 12 hours or so and it's been a complete shock to the system. While the rain did not completely ruin my first Australia Day, it made a valiant effort.

The day actually started out nicely. I chartered a boat with a few people that Myles put me in touch with and sailed around for a few hours. It was fantastic. I failed to take pictures but rest assured that it was better than sitting in an office. We gorged on bottles of champagne followed by a lunch of smoked salmon, prosciutto, spicy salami, fresh cut fruit, sandwiches heaving with smoked chicken, avocado, cherry tomatoes, jugs of ambrosia, and....oh sorry, I blacked out there there for a bit. what did you have for lunch?

The boat was a veritable U.N. with representatives from Argentina, Bulgaria, Australia, and the US.

The weather started to turn sour in the afternoon but I managed to make it to the pier with a fellow American to celebrate the day with a fireworks display on Darling Harbor. And what better way to celebrate Australia Day than by eating hamburgers and drinking Belgian beer. Keep in mind that it was raining this entire time, but the fireworks were pretty nice. And the day actually coincided with Chinese new years so the festivities were bigger than usual.

Luckily I was in bed before all of the brawls started. My boxing days are over and I'm too old for that mess.

So not sure what you guys are up to, but who's down to join me on a new adventure in....

No comments:

Post a Comment